Wednesday, November 12, 2014

40 Goals before 40

I turned 35 today. In some ways I feel old (especially when my back and body aches. Oh, and when I see yet another annoying white hair sprouting up), in some ways I still feel immature and young (sometimes I still wonder what I want to be when I grow up, although those moments are becoming fewer and fewer as I accept that I was probably born to be a lawyer). Mainly I wonder how time flew by so fast - I feel like the years between 25 and 35 went by in a blur. It's insane to me that I graduated high school half my lifetime ago and that my ten year reunion has already passed. Not for high school, not even for college, but for law school! Yikes.

I used to make an annual bucketlist - I need to give myself concrete, short-term timeframes so I prefer an annual list to a lifetime list. In the past few years, that list has gotten lamer and lamer. For example, in my 20's a typical list would look something like: climb Macchu Picchu, visit a country in Africa, run 100 miles every month. In more recent years my list has become shorter and lamer - i.e. get a promotion. Eww, what kind of bucketlist goal is that?

So I'm creating a list of 40 things I want to do before I turn 40, although I'm a bit dubious about whether it's all doable because 40 goals is kind of a lot.

1.  Run a 10K
2.  Learn to play tennis
3.  Trek Mount Everest (I don't mean reach Mt. Everest's summit, I mean trek somewhere on the mountain)
4.  Visit Bhutan
5.  Eat a hopper in Sri Lanka
6.  Eat tea leaf salad in Myanmar
7.  African Safari
8.  See the Northern Lights
9.  Finish writing a piece of fiction, whatever the length
10. Grand Canyon
11. Learn to bake a kickass apple pie from scratch
12. Learn how to make good kimchi
13. Snowboard down a black diamond without braking all the way down
14. Venice
15. Salar de Uyuni
16. Find something to be grateful for, every single day, however small or big. And thank God out loud for that thing.
17. Snail mail a handwritten thank you note
18. Shoot a bow and arrow
19. Patagonia
20. Bake a layered rainbow cake
21. Figure out a long-term care plan for my halmuni
22. Eat at Noma
23. Become a GC 
24. Create a will
25. A week in Paris
26. Mallorca
27. Malta
28. Learn the art of listening well
29. Learn to be comfortable with public speaking
30. Go fishing. And catch a fish.
31. Shoot a gun
32. Go on a camping trip! (this one gets an exclamation mark because I love camping - fresh air, nature, and why is it that kimchi stew made with canned beans and pork over a fire tastes so freaking delicious?)
33. Bike trip through Italy or Spain
34. Drink an entire mug of ice cold beer (I've never had more than a sip and hate the taste of beer)
35. Make dumplings from scratch
36. Play a round of golf
37. Learn how to be a good wife to my husband
38. Have a baby, and be a good mother to that baby.
39. Have a second baby, and be a good mother to that baby.
40. Depending on how #38 and #39 go, if it is a wise decision, have a third baby. And try to survive.

No comments: