Thursday, May 23, 2013

Obsessive personality

It's no secret that I have an obsessive personality. When I like something, I LOVE it and am completely obsessed with it until one day, I simply don't like it anymore. Mostly my obsessive personality applies to food and music, and to some extent, travel. When I discover a food or meal that I love, I need to eat it EVERYDAY until I OD on it and get sick of it - usually 3-4 days. It doesn't make for a balanced diet if you're eating only Greek yogurt & honey for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Or gazpacho, blocks of stinky cheese, basketfuls of blueberries, or worst of all, deep fried black vinegar pork. Thankfully these days I like more variety (and am perhaps a little bit obsessive about needing variety) so have to eat something different every day. Although...today I made myself a cherry tomato, red onion, sweet white corn, cucumber, dill, crab and egg salad with sharp mustard dressing that was so good and perfect for a hot summer day that I could feel the obsession coming on and in the back of my mind was already coming up with a grocery list of the ingredients so I could make it again. Oh well, at least it's healthy and decently well-balanced.

Then there's music. Like this morning, I woke up with Bruno Mars' "When I Was Your Man" in my head and had it on repeat for about 2 hours. Can you imagine listening to the SAME song over and over again for 2 full hours? A bit obsessive, just a little bit. Then in the middle of the 40th or so time it was playing, I suddenly absolutely did not want to listen to it anymore, so I changed to Pink's "Just Give Me a Reason", which has now played about 3 times in a row.

Do I need to see a shrink?

No comments: