Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Detox (aka juice cleanse)

I'm on day 3 of a 3-day detox cleanse. My friend B told me about a new store in my neighborhood that sells total cleanse systems. Basically, two hippie Australian girls who sell cold-pressed veg & fruit juices in nicely packaged form. Of course, I was hooked. It helped that the two girls are model-thin (one is a model) and have flawless, glowing skin and have that general glow of happiness and healthiness.

To be honest, it's not THAT bad. You are drinking so much fluid all day long (6 16-oz bottles of juices including apple/pear/spirulina, beet/carrot/cucumber, spinach/parsley and a nut milk at night to fill your stomach so you don't wake up from hunger + 8 oz of water after every juice) that you don't really feel hungry, per se. The first day, I felt weak, nauseated, had a runny nose and after about 3 pm, could do nothing but dream about food. The second day, I felt strangely highly energetic and happy for most of the day, but then starting getting hunger cramps around 6 pm which went away after I drank the nut milk. Today, I feel ok - not super energetic, but not weak either. Mostly, I'm sick of drinking the juices and going pee every 10 minutes, and I can't WAIT to eat some real, solid food.

I think people do detoxes for different reasons - the owners of this detox business tell me that the point of detox is to purify our bodies of pollutants and give our livers a cleanse. For me, it's to reset my body so that I can try to get healthier and leaner for the wedding. I'm so addicted to MSG, fried foods, noodles and rice living in HK. I'm hoping that after the detox, I can stay away (mostly) from those foods and stick to healthier fare such as salads and sushi. I'm not planning an actual diet since I love food too much to deprive myself of it (other than these 3 days), but I do want to eat leaner for the next two months in the hopes that I'll maybe lose a couple pounds. If not, then oh well - I tried.

No comments: