When I lived in the States, my firm/clients would scrutinize every expense and thus, business trips were only taken when absolutely necessary. Also, if the flight was domestic and less than 6 hours (i.e basically every flight), we flew coach. So in my 5 years of practicing in the US, I went on exactly 4 business trips: one to DC, one to NY and two to Orange County.
In comparison, in the last 7 months practicing in HK, I've been to Korea 3 X, Japan once, New York once on a very extended trip, will be going to Singapore this week and Barbados and Jamaica later this month, and possibly Istanbul and Tokyo next month.
The difference in HK is that clients never seem to care about costs or expenses, and are also generally less sophisticated than US clients (thus, they need more hand-holding, which often means accompanying them to business meetings), and also in Asia, companies always seem to want to meet face-to-face to conduct business rather than over a teleconference. Which means: endless travel. Which, as all things are, is a blessing and a curse. I'm not complaining about the jetsetter life, but when I was doing it all the time during the first quarter of this year, I was so exhausted that all I wanted was a 9-5 job that would keep me at home so I could have a normal life which I could schedule without having to cancel yoga classes, happy hours, dinners, spa appointments, laundry, etc. But after a 3 month hiatus from business travel, I have to say I'm kind of looking forward to it again - as long as it comes in manageable doses.
***
Living in HK, I've realized there really is too much of a good thing. When I lived in the States, the idea of a vacay in SE Asia seemed like heaven. What's not to love about warm weather, white sand beaches, pristine resorts and delicious food - and at reasonably low prices? I dreamed of traveling to Bali, Phuket, Koh Samui. But after two years of living in Asia and numerous vacations throughout SE Asia, all I want for my next vacation is a week in South America or Europe or Morocco. Somewhere that feels different - as different as possible - from life in HK. Because after all, HK is part of SE Asia, sharing the same sea with much of the Philippines, Vietnam and Thailand. So even though it's awesome to travel to a new part of SE Asia, something about it always feels kind of the same. Same same, but different. I totally understand the saying now.
So I can't wait for my next extended vacay, which I hope is somewhere not in Asia - Buenos Aires, Cartagena, Copenhagen, Portugal, Morocco...anywhere where I feel completely displaced. It's strange, but I'm a bit addicted to the feeling of displacement, then the gradual process of getting to know a city and make it mine. That is the thrill that lies in travel for me: finding myself in a completely new and unfamiliar place then getting to know it inside out.
No comments:
Post a Comment