Sunday, November 14, 2010

Turning 30

Turning 30 last year was acceptable to me. I wasn't thrilled about it, but 29 had been a particularly rough year, so I was ready to move on. But turning 31? Nah, I've decided I don't want to age past 30. So I decided to ignore my birthday this year altogether in hopes that ignoring it would go away (I tend to think that I'm a fairly rational person most of the time, but I turn into a bit of a nut when it comes to aging). However, it turns out that it's not that easy to ignore your day of birth, since other people seem to think it's something to congratulate you on. So then I decided that I can celebrate birthdays, but I'm just going to turn 30 again and again. A friend asked why not 29 - while it would be great to remain in my 20's, 29 was a super-rough year for me in terms of getting laid off, having to move to Japan, enduring LDR, etc. - not a year I'd like to repeat. 30 on the other hand was fairly terrific: started off with a beautiful weekend at onsen, an amazing holiday season filled with friends and family and snowboarding, the decision to move together with El Hombre to HK, amazing travels, and a move to HK, a city I'm enamored of. So I'll stick with repeating 30.

I generally use my birthdays and the end of the year to reflect on the past year - I think it's a good time to pause and be thankful for life, family, friends.

When I reflect on the past year, the immediate emotion I feel is: fortunate. I turned 30 in a place I despised living in, but was fortunate enough to have a wonderful boyfriend who flew out for the occasion (and many, many other occasions) to spend the day with me. We had an incredible molecular gastronomy meal, followed by a truly serene weekend in Hakone that actually made me appreciate Japan. Made great new friends who turned into great old friends. Had an amazing holiday season in the bay area and Tahoe, where I won in roulette with the number 30 (which I totally took as a sign from God that 30 was going to be an incredible year). Traveled to Rome to see the Colosseum and Egypt to see the Pyramids. Snowboarded on the finest powder in Niseko. Spent a memorable week with my family in Kyoto and Tokyo. Worked on challenging deals in Tokyo that made me want to throw a chair out the conference room window each and every day, but managed not to (each and every day that I managed not to quit, I patted myself on the back for sticking through hell another day). Was fortunate to have close friends visit me in Tokyo. Had the opportunity to dabble as a food critic, eating delicious meals and having my reviews published in an actual magazine. Quit my God-forsaken job in Tokyo. Traveled through Amsterdam, Spain, Greece, Cambodia, China, Bali with El Hombre. Moved to Hong Kong and amazingly found a terrific job and a great apartment.

30 was a challenging but ultimately very rewarding, memorable year. And as in years past, I'm grateful to God, the universe, the powers that be for the gift of another year of life filled with beloved friends and family, amazing travels, delicious eats, terrific memories. But most of all, I'm thankful that God heard me and took me out of the dual hellhole of Tokyo and LDR and delivered me to the dual paradise of HK and being together with El Hombre. Thanks Baby Jesus!

No comments: